Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Revvies Update

I sent Preston Burpo an email.

For those who haven't seen me recently, you have been spared the telling and reenactment of Revvies' goalie Preston Burpo's nasty leg break on Saturday night. I will be the first to admit that it took me a game or two to warm up to the idea of Burpo being our goalie. The fact is with Ralston leaving the team and my beloved goalie Matt Reis having surgery in the off season I had to dig down deep to rally enthusiasm for a team I hardly knew. Preston Burpo joined the team in January and began the season as our starting goalie. His style of play is different than Reis; Burpo seemed to favor coming off his line to challange for a ball instead of staying on the line defending the goal. He made some huge saves for the team during his short time between the sticks and proved himself to be a valuable member of the Revolution team.

The injury he sustained Saturday was no one's fault. He came out to challenge for a 50/50 ball and brought along some really bad luck with him. He will be out for the rest of the season. Hopefully it is not the end of his career. The team posted an email address to send Preston well wishes. I sent mine this morning.

For those who have a strong stomach you can google his name and I'm sure find a replay of the incident. Seeing it once was enough for me. One good thing that I saw some come out of this horrific injury is that it united the team in a way that had been missing. With so many new faces this year and returning players being out with the injury it seems that it has been tough for the team to really gel together. Winning for Burpo became their mission last Saturday night and it was a mission they completed successfully.

In encouraging news, Matt Reis has been removed from the disabled list a week earlier than planned and will sit on the bench Saturday as back-up goal keep. Due to the World Cup, league play will be light in the months of June and July which will give Reis a chance to ease back into the line-up.

I'm looking forward to the rest of season. And as always, GO REVVIES!

No comments: